2,500 eye operations per year
The eye clinic which has been set up by wortundtat providing 60 beds and an operating theatre exists since 1983. About 2,500 eye operations are carried out here each year.
Against being cast out
Blind people in India have normally no opportunity to work and depend on the help of others. Often regarded as a burden by their families many of them are cast out. Their last hope of survival is begging. Members of staff or wortundtat again and again come across blind people who live mainly in rural areas. Each month wortundtat provides 500 of them and their families with essentials, such as food, fuel for cooking and soap.
Statistical background information:
Andhra Pradesh has a population of about 85 million people. Of those, 17,000 children and 25,000 adults, hence a total of 42,000 people are blind. About 50 % of all blind and visually impaired people in Andhra Pradesh live by begging.
The most important causes for blindness in India
- Cataract (Grey star)
- Glaucoma (Green star)
- Trachoma ("Rough eye" - bacterial infection of the eye)
- Vitamin A deficiency
- Retinal disease caused by Diabetes mellitus (diabetic retinopathy)
Other background information:
- Blind people are constantly dependent on the help and the pity of others.
- Many blind people are illiterate, which restricts them even more.
- Many blind people come from rural areas and very poor conditions.
- Often, blind children are outcast by their parents and live by begging.
- Blind people often only find blind partners. Children from these relationships are required as soon as possible to act as "carers", who help with begging and coping with life in general. Hence, these children have a hardly a chance to get an education and often end up as beggars themselves.
Our solution approach:
AMG, our partner in India, provides the blind with food to ease the greatest pressure and tries to find opportunities for them to earn a little money themselves. AMG makes a special effort to find job opportunities for blind couples, where both partners can work together. That way, their children can be released from their duties as carers and enjoy a school education with the aid of AMG.