India’s children need special protection
Children are naturally the weakest link of a society and require special protection. There is hardly another country in the world, were the prospects for children are so poor. Out of 100 children born in India
- 65 do not exist officially, as they do not have a birth certificate,
- Six to seven will not live to celebrate their first birthday,
- Only every second child will be vaccinated against dangerous childhood diseases,
- Five will die from the causes of malnutrition,
- Only 25 will successfully complete their primary school education.
(Source: UNICEF, 2006)
wortundtat is in particular involved in helping children from castes in India, which are held in the lowest esteem. The magnitude of this task is described in newspaper article from 2007 (in german language).